Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Let me tell you a story

So, as you know, I am making our holiday gifts this year. And Jolene requested a pair of socks. I am beginning to think that someone somewhere is trying to tell me that I shouldn't make them for her.

Jess and the Socks of Doom

I found some beautiful self-patterning sock yarn in a blue and grey colorway. It is perfect for Jolene. Exactly the colors she loves.

First I had to separate the skeins of yarn.
I've read that you have to separate each skein in half to be sure that they match. So I went to the store to buy a kitchen scale. And they didn't have one and/or I couldn't find one or an associate to help me find one. I had to go to two other stores before I finally found one and, then proceeded to buy one that wouldn't work for my purpose. I then had to return that scale and get a new one. Whew two weeks after I bought the yarn it is separated into two balls and I'm ready to cast on.

The Cast on
So first I decided to have a short row toe because I like them better so I'm knitting along and I have holes in my toes, so I tear them out, and then I have holes in my toes, so I tear them out. Then I decide that the yarn would look better if I did the other kind of toe, so I tore them out again.

Then I cast on some toe up socks using Knitty's Magic Cast On
http://http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/FEATmagiccaston.html about 7 times.

At last here we go
So I am knitting along and the socks are going wonderfully. Look they are coming out perfectly...but wait...... Wha.... why.... what!


Why are they different? Do I have the wrong number of stitches somewhere? No, they are the same, but they are different, but they are the same, but they are different, buttheyarethesamebuttheyaredifferent........AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! What did I do??????? I tore them back.

Then I started knitting them again. Yay! they are the same!! Wooo Hooo! But... wait.... they look a little big

So I tore them back again and I'm knitting and..... wait a minute.... they are different again. Ah, forget it. I don't care. They can just be different..... can't they? But wait............... they look a little too small. AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGG!

Now they are too small and they are different!

RRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPP!

So I cast on, using Knitty's Magic Cast On. Crap. So I cast on. Crap. So I cast on. AAAAAHHHHH CRAP! So I cast on and YAY!!! Here we go........................again.

What is it with me and socks??

No comments: